Good Morning Everyone,
The Dalai Lama said:
-‘If every 8 year old in the world was taught Meditation, we will eliminate violence from the world within one generation’
That is a huge and powerful statement. Personally I cannot say whether this would come to pass or not. But, the world is certainly changing, we live life in the fast lane and our children learn that this is the norm. With this comes more anxieties, stress and mental illness which is increasingly reported on the news.
So, what can we do to help our children avoid the issues that we face daily. We can teach them to be calm and mindful. We can teach them to take time out on fast paced days. We can teach them that is good to slow down and look after their wellbeing’s.
Why is it beneficial
If you are going to teach your children something new then you want to know how it can be beneficial to them.
– It’s calming and increases concentration levels.
– Reduces stress and anxiety
– Helps to control emotions
Let’s look at some ways we can easily teach our children to be more mindful in the every day.
– Children’s Yoga: Not only is this good for concentration and stress relief it is also great exercise.
– Mindful Play: Concentrating on just one task increases concentration and allows the brain to have a break from stressful situations. (Colouring is brilliant for this as it is a calm activity and allows children to express their emotions)
– Meditation: Whilst most children will find it difficult to sit still for too long practice makes perfect. Ask them to sit and close their eyes and just listen to the things around them. Start with a minute and increase it.
– Mindful Senses: being mindful is concentrating on the present moment. We need to make this fun for children. So use their senses. Pick 5 items. Ask them to close their eyes and explore with their senses. Smell | Taste | Sound | Touch | See (eyes open) – They should describe the smell or taste and try and guess what it is.
Teaching children Meditation and Mindfulness doesn’t need to be hard, but the benefits can be amazing.
Have a great day everyone.
Love Charlotte Fay x